Joint replacement surgery puts the body under a lot of stress and proper nutrition is essential to ensure a positive surgical outcome. Eating the right foods will help speed up your post surgical recovery while poor nutrition slows down the healing process and increases susceptibility to infections. Here are 5 foods to eat before and after joint replacement surgery:
- High-Quality Proteins: Eggs, poultry, fish, meat, and nuts are excellent sources of high-quality proteins that provide the building blocks which help the body repair itself and boost the body’s immunity.
- Complex Carbohydrates: As a result of the surgery your metabolism will be elevated which increases the body’s calorie requirements. But you must make sure your calories are obtained from complex carbohydrate such as whole grains, starchy vegetables, and legumes. Avoid simple carbohydrates found in foods such as pastries, desserts, cookies, candy, soda, and ice cream.
- Anti-Inflammatory Fats: Salmon, mackerel, sardines, and anchovies are good examples of fatty fish that contain high amounts of omega 3 fatty acids that have anti-inflammatory properties which reduces the inflammation in the body caused by the surgery.
- Calcium and Vitamin D: Calcium is key for maximizing bone and joint health especially when undergoing joint replacement surgery. Good sources of calcium include spinach, chia seeds, and kale as well as dairy products. Apart from eating calcium-rich foods, you need to spend at least 15-20 a day outdoors in the daytime so your body can synthesize vitamin D from sunlight which helps in the absorption of calcium from the food you eat.
- Vitamin C: This vitamin is essential for the formation of collagen which is present in the ligaments and tendons that connect the bones and muscles. Vitamin C rich foods include citrus fruits such as oranges, lemon, kiwi, and grapefruit; and vegetables such as cauliflower, capsicum, and Brussel sprouts.
Dr. Paul Jacob partners with i2u Culinary Solutions which offers well-balanced meals geared towards treating patients during a vulnerable, yet transformative, time in their lives.Turkey and Maple Glazed Carving Ham and healthy breakfast choice are just a few of the very popular items on the menu: i2U Culinary Solutions.
Dr. Jacob brings cutting edge techniques and technology to the Oklahoma City area. He has extensive training in minimally invasive, rapid recovery joint replacement as well as robotically assisted hip and knee replacement. Dr. Jacob is a pioneer in outpatient joint replacement allowing some patient to go home the same day as their procedure and recover in the comfort of their own home. The cornerstone of Dr. Jacob’s practice is to have the recovery process be easier, faster and less painful allowing his patients to get back into the game of life. Dr. Jacob is committed to bringing the highest level of orthopedic care while treating each and every patient like a family member. Providing you with patient centered care you can trust.