Think you’re fighting a losing battle against weight gain? By the time they’ve reached middle age, most people notice changes in the way their bodies look and feel. It seems much easier to gain weight during the holiday season than to lose it, especially after age 50. Try these effective ways to lose weight after 50:
- Focus on Increasing Muscle Mass: Most people tend to lose muscle mass with age. This greatly contributes to slowing of metabolism making it harder to lose weight. Muscle building exercises like weight training or body weight exercises will boost your body's resting metabolic rate and help with weight loss.
- Avoid Processed Foods:It is a well-known fact that processed foods such as hamburgers, fries, cakes and holidays sweets are loaded with empty calories and are low in important nutrients that your body needs to function properly. Numerous studies have shown that people who eat home cooked foods have a healthier body weight.
- Be More Active: The more you move, the more calories you burn. The key is to choose an activity you enjoy that isn’t too hard on your bones and joints. Brisk walking, biking or swimming are good low-impact exercises if you prefer solo activities. Try enrolling in a dance class or team sports like soccer if you prefer group activities.
- Reduce Alcohol Intake: Some amount of alcohol consumption can be considered an unavoidable part of the holiday season, but when getting your fitness back on track after the holidays, reduce alcohol consumption to no more than one drink per day for women and no more than two drinks per day for men.
- Consult Your Healthcare Provider: If you are struggling to lose weight despite adopting a healthy lifestyle, it might be a good idea to get a health checkup to rule out problems such as PCOS or hypothyroidism which can cause hormonal imbalances or lower your metabolism. You can also get your fitness program cleared by your doctor ensuring safe and healthy weight loss.
Dr. Jacob brings cutting edge techniques and technology to the Oklahoma City area. He has extensive training in minimally invasive, rapid recovery joint replacement as well as robotically assisted hip and knee replacement. Dr. Jacob is a pioneer in outpatient joint replacement allowing some patients to go home the same day as their procedure and recover in the comfort of their own home. The cornerstone of Dr. Jacob’s practice is to have the recovery process be easier, faster and less painful allowing his patients to get back into the game of life. Dr. Jacob is committed to bringing the highest level of orthopedic care while treating each and every patient like a family member. Providing you with patient centered care you can trust.