Hip pain can make simple activities like climbing stairs, getting up from a chair, or picking up things off the floor seem like torture. Fortunately, there are a variety of conservative treatments that can help relieve your symptoms. Here are some nonsurgical solutions for hip pain.
- R.I.C.E. Therapy: This is a medical acronym that stands for:
- Rest: Avoid or modify activities that cause hip pain.
- Ice: Application of an ice pack to the hip for 15 minutes 3-4 times a day
- Compression: Apply a thick compressive wrap for hip pain relief
- Elevation: Elevation of the injured hip can reduce swelling and inflammation
- Oral Medications for Hip Pain: The different types of oral pain medications include non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication to reduced pain and swelling, muscle relaxants to reduce muscle spasm and stiffness, and opioids which are prescribed to relieve severe hip pain. These medications should only be taken as directed by your doctor to minimize risks of side effects.
- Topical Medications for Hip Pain: Analgesic creams, sprays, or rubs can be applied on the skin over the painful area of the hip. The common ingredients in topical medications include salicylates, counterirritants such as menthol or camphor, and capsaicin.
- Injections for Hip Pain: Corticosteroid injections directly into the hip can help lower inflammation fast and improve healing of injury. This approach may provide significant pain relief that lasts for several months.
- Physical Therapy for Hip Pain: This is a very important long-term treatment. A physical therapist will provide you with a personalized physical therapy program to improve strength and range of motion of the hip joint as well as reduce risk of further injury.
Dr. Jacob brings cutting edge techniques and technology to the Oklahoma City area. He has extensive training in minimally invasive, rapid recovery joint replacement as well as robotically assisted hip and knee replacement. Dr. Jacob is a pioneer in outpatient joint replacement allowing some patient to go home the same day as their procedure and recover in the comfort of their own home. The cornerstone of Dr. Jacob’s practice is to have the recovery process be easier, faster and less painful allowing his patients to get back into the game of life. Dr. Jacob is committed to bringing the highest level of orthopedic care while treating each and every patient like a family member. Providing you with patient centered care you can trust.