In the past, hip replacement was reserved as treatment for elderly patients when all other options fail; however, with advanced surgical techniques such as minimally invasive surgery, hip replacement may be a treatment option for patients in their 50s, 40s or even younger.
Hip replacement is rarely performed as an urgent procedure. Generally, the patient elects to undergo hip replacement when the pain and loss of mobility severely reduces quality of life.
During the minimally invasive hip replacement procedure, the surgeon uses miniaturized surgical instruments, cameras, and lights to view inside the body and perform the hip replacement without opening too much skin. This prevents damage to healthy surrounding anatomical structures. It is a safe procedure that allows patients to recover quickly and spend less time in the hospital.
Some of the important benefits of minimally invasive hip replacement include:
- Smaller Incisions: Conventional hip replacement surgery is performed through a 10 to 12-inch incision. Minimally invasive hip replacement can be done through a 3 to 4-inch incision. Patients can expect to have much smaller scars which can be easily concealed by underwear.
- No Cutting of Muscles: Advanced surgical techniques (such as anterior approach hip replacement) allow for important muscles to be moved out of the way to get to the hip joint without any cutting.
- Reduced Postoperative Pain: Due to minimal injury to surrounding healthy tissue, the patients generally experience less pain during the postoperative recovery phase and require less pain medication.
- Early Hospital Discharge: Depending on your condition, you may be allowed to return home on the same day as the surgery to recover in the comfort of your own home or the very next day. After conventional hip replacement surgery patients generally spend 4-5 days or even longer in the hospital.
- Faster Return to Activity: As the muscles surrounding the hip joint are not cut during minimally invasive surgery, they are better able to support the new joint and can contribute towards faster return to routine activities.
If you aren’t overweight and don’t suffer from any other medical problems, you might be a candidate for minimally invasive hip replacement.
Dr. Jacob brings cutting edge techniques and technology to the Oklahoma City area. He has extensive training in minimally invasive, rapid recovery joint replacement as well as robotically assisted hip and knee replacement. Dr.Jacob is a pioneer in outpatient joint replacement allowing some patient to go home the same day as their procedure and recover in the comfort of their own home. The cornerstone of Dr. Jacob’s practice is to have the recovery process be easier, faster and less painful allowing his patients to get back into the game of life. Dr.Jacob is committed to bringing the highest level of orthopedic care while treating each and every patient like a family member. Providing you with patient centered care you can trust.